The Warre Top Quilt Keeps Honeybees Warm and Dry
A Warre top quilt is a shallow box that sits on top of the hive and is filled with a bedding material such as straw, sawdust, or wood chips. The quilt box has a 1/8th-inch wire mesh bottom that separates the hive from the bedding material and prevents moisture from building up. Over time, the bees add or remove propolis from the mesh to regulate the airflow. The top quilt is ideal for over-wintering bees, as it provides insulation from the elements while allowing moisture to escape the hive.
- provides winter insulation
- prevents condensation on the inner cover (there is no inner cover)
- allows moisture to escape the hive
- bedding can be changed at any time without opening the hive
- increases winter survival rates